27 year old John Arnold seems to have had a good year in 2001. If Enron's internal trading records are to be believed, he booked $750m in profits trading natural gas contracts that year. The New York Times reports that trading experts have commented that profits of this kind are staggering. Many of Enron's competitors believe that the figures are highly suspect and improbable.
Arnold was paid a bonus of $8m for 2001, the highest bonus paid to any Enron employee. He has just returned from South Korea and Japan after watching some of the World Cup. He has said: 'It certainly wasn't a normal year. Did I recognize I was having a good year ? Yes. But at some point it's just a number.'
Arnold left Enron in March to start his own hedge fund, Centaurus Energy, which is due to begin trading next month.
Latest in Financial Marketsback-up
- Female Financial Advisors Pursue Female Clients
- RBS Bankers Receive £2.7m in Shares as Bonus
- Win Two Nights For Two At Whitley Hall
- The 2013 Best in Class Recruitment Polls - Current Nominees
- Recruitment Firms We Like 2013
- Top Firm On The Look Out For Talent
- EU Bank Bonus Cap To Put Pressure On US
- UBS Must Face Whistle-Blower Lawsuit
- Getting A Small Bonus 'Is A Psychological Slap In The Face'
- Ex-Goldman Director Says Taped Evidence Was Hearsay
- Spitzer: Dimon Is 'A Superb CEO...But It's Not About Jamie'
- Deutsche Bank - Up To Their Necks In Litigation'
- SocGen’s Russian Unit Said to Cut Hundreds Of Back Office Jobs In Moscow
- IMF Urges Treasury To Speed Up Sale Of Lloyds and RBS
- Jamie Dimon Crushes Critics With Astounding Win
- Here Is The City Hits New Readership High - 1,923,051 Unique Users
- JPMorgan Averts CEO / Chair Split, Bolstering Dimon
- Brandz Top Global Brands - The Top 20
- Fascinating Facts About The Human Brain
- Morgan Stanley Falls Down Prime Broker Pecking Order, Sued In 'Pay-To-Play' Case
- Cohen Subpoena Puts SAC Settlement Talks On Ice
- Enron No Lesson To Traders As EU Probes Oil-Price Manipulation
- EU Bonus Cap Could Double Bankers Salaries City Regulator Warns
- Demoting Jamie Dimon Won’t Fix JPMorgan’s Poor Governance
- Ex-Goldman's Gupta Challenges U.S. Use of Wiretaps in Insider Appeal
- David Karp: Tumblr Founder Could Be Worth Up To $220m After Yahoo Deal
- Goldman Said In ICBC Exit With $1.1bn Sale
- Ex-Goldman Sachs Boss Quits HSBC Role
- What Most Asian Entrepreneurs Get Wrong
- SAC Capital Settlement Talks Fall Apart: Source
- After Government Raid, JItters For Bitcoin ?
- Scandal At Top Firm As Promoted Employee Receives Abusive Letter From Anonymous Co-Worker
- And The World's Richest Man Now Is.....
- UBS Bankers Raise Chat Group Concerns, Judge Revives JPMorgan Lawsuit
- Jamie Dimon Would Go On 'Undercover Boss'
- Fund Managers Fear EU Bonus Cap
Jobs on Careers
- VP / Director Linear IR Desk Quant London
- Soft Commodities Strategist- Tier 1 Investment Bank London
- Compliance Spezialist (m / w)
- AVP Level Compliance Testing & Internal Controls for Leading US Investment Bank |USA
- Business Analyst | Counterparty Risk | Investment Banking
- VP, IR Quant on trading desk | NYC
- AVP / VP EQ & FX Quant | London
- Leading Asset Manager | London | Derivative Quant Analyst
- Top Tier Investment Bank seeks Senior Compliance & Operational Risk Manager | London
- NYC Front Office CVA Quant | Investment Bank