27 year old John Arnold seems to have had a good year in 2001. If Enron's internal trading records are to be believed, he booked $750m in profits trading natural gas contracts that year. The New York Times reports that trading experts have commented that profits of this kind are staggering. Many of Enron's competitors believe that the figures are highly suspect and improbable.
Arnold was paid a bonus of $8m for 2001, the highest bonus paid to any Enron employee. He has just returned from South Korea and Japan after watching some of the World Cup. He has said: 'It certainly wasn't a normal year. Did I recognize I was having a good year ? Yes. But at some point it's just a number.'
Arnold left Enron in March to start his own hedge fund, Centaurus Energy, which is due to begin trading next month.
Latest in Financial Marketsback-up
- Jamie Dimon Crushes Critics With Astounding Win
- Brandz Top Global Brands - The Top 20
- Fascinating Facts About The Human Brain
- Morgan Stanley Falls Down Prime Broker Pecking Order, Sued In 'Pay-To-Play' Case
- JPMorgan Averts CEO / Chair Split, Bolstering Dimon
- Cohen Subpoena Puts SAC Settlement Talks On Ice
- Enron No Lesson To Traders As EU Probes Oil-Price Manipulation
- 11 Things That Happened This Day In History - 21st May
- The 2013 Best in Class Recruitment Polls - The Nominees To Date
- JPMorgan Vote Should Be 75% - 25% For Dimon, Bove Says
- EU Bonus Cap Could Double Bankers Salaries City Regulator Warns
- Demoting Jamie Dimon Won’t Fix JPMorgan’s Poor Governance
- Ex-Goldman's Gupta Challenges U.S. Use of Wiretaps in Insider Appeal
- David Karp: Tumblr Founder Could Be Worth Up To $220m After Yahoo Deal
- Ex-Goldman Sachs Boss Quits HSBC Role
- What Most Asian Entrepreneurs Get Wrong
- SAC Capital Settlement Talks Fall Apart: Source
- After Government Raid, JItters For Bitcoin ?
- Here Is The City Hits New Readership High - 1,875,499 Unique Users
- Win Two Nights For Two at Holbeck Ghyll
- Win A Pair Of Top Price Tickets To See 'Barking In Essex!'
- Recruitment Firms We Like 2013
- Scandal At Top Firm As Promoted Employee Receives Abusive Letter From Anonymous Co-Worker
- And The World's Richest Man Now Is.....
- Standard Chartered To Buy Morgan Stanley’s Indian Wealth Unit
- SAC Says Cooperation With U.S. No Longer ‘Unconditional’
- Sir Mervyn King: Don't Demonise Bankers
- Bloomberg Still Needs To Answer Questions
- Yale Professor Grades Mark Zuckerberg's Record - A Very Generous B-minus
- Bloomberg Appoints Independent Adviser
- Best Place To Work 2013 - The Top 100 Firms
- Does This Job Make Me Look Fat ?
- Investor Group Calls On SEC To Review Change In JPMorgan Voting Rules
- Ex-BMO Analyst Ming Zhao Settles Insider-Trading Violations
- Risky Business: Lessons From The Bloomberg Scandal
- EU Bonus Cap Could Hit 10 Times As Many London Bankers
Jobs on Careers
- Digital Proposition Manager
- High Frequency Trading System Developer - VP / SVP Level (C++/Multithreaded / Low Latency) Prop Shop
- KDB+ High Frequency FX Developer Leading High Frequency Trading Firm London
- Liquidity Risk Manager- Tier 1 Global investment bank - London
- European CFO- Global markets- Tier 1 investment bank- London based
- C# Developer - Banking - London - Contract - £560
- ASP. Net MVC Developer - Contract - £500
- Informatica ILM Specialist - Contract
- C# Developer - Banking - London - Contract - £600
- Product Marketing Manager