1. 100 BC Gaius Julius Caesar is born
2. 1543 - England's King Henry VIII marries his sixth and last wife, Catherine Parr
3. 1690 - Protestant William of Orange defeats Roman Catholic James II at the Battle of the Boyne in Ireland
4. 1954 - Elvis Presley signs his first recording contract and quit his job as a truck driver. The contract is with Sun Records
5. 1957 - The Ismaili sect of the Shi'ite Muslims welcomes a new spiritual leader when Prince Karim Al-hussain of Pakistan is proclaimed Aga Khan IV
6. 1962 - The Rolling Stones give their first public performance at London's Marquee Club
7. 1963 - The infamous moors murderers begin their killing spree when 16-year-old Pauline Reade is abducted by Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, the so-called 'Moors Murderers', launching a series of cruel killings lasting over two years.
8. 1974 - The manager of Liverpool football club, Bill Shankly, retires
9. 1990 - Boris Yeltsin resigns from the Soviet Communist Party, bringing the radical-conservative split into the open
10. 1998 - 1.7 billion people watch the World Cup final between France and Brazil. France won 3-0.
11. 2000 - The X-Men movie premiers in New York
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com, thepeopleshistory