West Bromwich Albion announced the signing of Claudio Yacob recently; becoming Steve Clarke’s 3rd signing of the summer following Ben Foster and Yassine El Ghanassy. He joins the likes of Fabricio Colocinni, Jonas Gutierrez and Carlos Tevez as Argentineans playing in the Premier League.
But who is he and what does this signing bring to The Hawthorns?
1. The 25 year old defensive midfield player joins the Midlands outfit from Racing Club, a team from the suburbs of the Argentine capital Buenos Aires, where he made his debut in 2006 when he was 19.
2. He was made captain of La Academia in 2008 aged just 21 and held that position until deciding on a new challenge this summer by allowing his contract to run out at the club he joined as a youth team player.
3. Yacob was a regular in Argentina’s youth setup’s and in 2007 was an integral part of the Argentina side that came second at the Under-20’s Copa America and won the FIFA Under-20’s World Cup. He was part of a team that included Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, former Birmingham City forward Mauro Zarate, Wigan striker Franco Di Santo and current Manchester City sensation Sergio Aguero.
4. Yacob has gone on to represent his country at a full international status making 3 caps for La Albiceleste and scoring one goal in a friendly against South American rivals Ecuador in April of last year.
5. Since making his debut he has played under 11 different coaches at Racing in a 6 year period; including current manager of Europa League winners Athletico Madrid and ‘best friend’ of David Beckham, Diego Simeone and former national team manager Alfio Basile. This revolt may be one reason why despite some of his impressive statistics and stylish style of play he has never won a senior domestic honour before his move to the Premier League.
Check out some of his best plays in this YouTube video.
image: © hisgett