Following the charge given to John Terry last Friday, the FA have charged Rio Ferdinand today with improper conduct over tweets made after Terry’s racism trial. In the tweet, which was later removed, Rio Ferdinand retweets an inflammatory comment on Ashley Cole that labels him a ‘choc-ice’. Ferdinand has until Thursday to respond to the charge.
Manchester United have announced a shirt sponsorship deal with American car makers Chevrolet. The seven-year deal is reported to amount to £25m a year and will replace current sponsors Aon from the 2014-15 season who pay in the region of £20m per season.
In potentially shocking news, Sir Alex Ferguson could be ready to move for Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole as the move for Everton’s Leighton Baines has come to an end. United are unwilling to meet the Everton left-back’s £15m valuation but Cole, who has a year left to run on his Chelsea contract, could be available this summer with no talks scheduled to negotiate a new deal. The player however is prepared to stay at Chelsea and risk seeing his contract expire at the club.
Reported Berbatov suitors Galatasaray have today publicly denied interest in the Manchester United striker. Reports in recent weeks had suggested the Bulgarian could be on his way to Turkey with Galatasaray willing to meet the £5m fee but that has been disproven today. Berbatov seems likely to stay at United for another season unless West Ham or PSG can provide an escape route.
Sir Alex Ferguson has said that he is hoping for a strong start from Manchester United again this season. Last year, the team made their best start to a Premier League season winning six of the opening seven games. United start their campaign away at Everton on a Monday night this season and Ferguson is wary of the difficulty of the opening game but is confident of a strong start for a United team looking to reclaim their Title.
In an interview given after Brazil’s 3-1 victory against Belarus at Old Trafford yesterday, Lucas Moura has said he will wait until after the Olympics to decide on his future. The move looks increasingly unlikely as Sao Paulo officials last week stated that the player would not be moving.