1. 48 B.C. - Pompey the Great is murdered on the orders of King Ptolemy of Egypt
2. 1066 - William of Normandy lands at Pevensey on the south coast of England at the start of his invasion
3. 1920 - Eight Chicago White Sox players are indicted for fixing the 1919 World Series in the 'Black Sox scandal'
4. 1924 - Two U.S. Army planes land in Seattle after completing the first round-the-world-flight in 175 days
5. 1928 - England Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin
6. 1939 – Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union agree on a division of Poland after their invasion during World War II
7. 1968 - The Beatles single Hey Jude hits the top of the charts. It is over seven minutes long and was the longest song ever to hit No. 1, a record it holds to this day
8. 1976 - Muhammad Ali beats Ken Norton to retain the Heavyweight Championship of the world at Yankee Stadium
9. 1978 - Pope John Paul I dies of a heart attack, just 33 days after he is elected Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church..
10. 1985 - Riots break out on the streets of Brixton, south London after a woman is shot and seriously injured in a house search
11. 1995 - Israeli and Palestinian leaders sign a deal that will allow a certain degree for autonomy in the West Bank
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com
image: © SMN