A number of clubs have been linked with the Turkish centre-back Semih Kaya, who currently plies his trade for Turkish domestic champions Galatasaray, with Liverpool the latest club to be referenced to his signing.
So who is the 21-year-old Turkish international?
Here is what we can tell you about him.
1. Semih was born in Bergama on the 24th February 1991.
2. He started his career with lowly regional sides Petkimspor and Helvaci Youth and Sport Club before joining the youth system at Altay in 2004.
3. After two seasons at the Izmir based club he moved to Istanbul giants Galatasaray and was instantly installed into their ‘A2’ squad.
4. He made his debut for the club in early 2009 against Istanbul BBSK.
5. He went on to have two loan spells that differed in success, firstly with Gaziantespor where he found first-team opportunities limited before joining up with second tier side Kartalspor with much more success, including two goals against his former club Altay.
6. During the early stages of his career he suffered a severe head injury after colliding with current Besiktas striker and Turkey international Batuhan Karadeniz that required emergency after developing a blood clot. Legend has it when he came round in post-op he was informed by a nurse that upon his recovery he would ‘’play for Fenerbahce’’ Galatasaray’s fierce rivals, to which he responded: ‘’then leave me in the hospital’’.
7. He was voted the Turkish leagues ‘Young Player of the Year’ for his outstanding performances last season.
8. He played at all age levels for Turkey, from under-15s all the way upto under-21 level, before making his international debut in February 2012 against Slovakia.
9. He has been compared to Gerard Pique, for his excellent technique and dribbling abilities, despite his stature and position.
10. His second name translates in Turkish to ‘’rock’’ which has earned him the inventive nickname of ‘The Rock’; owing to his solid defensive ability.
Here he is in action, apologies for the ‘interesting’ version of Eye of the Tiger by Survivor.
Should Liverpool chase Turkey’s ‘rock’?
image: © banoootah_qtr