Arsenal have snapped up their fair share of young talent over the past few years and now they seem set to pursue another hot young prospect in the form of Boca Juniors Argentine midfielder Leandro Paredes.
The 18-year-old is highly touted at El Bombonera and according to sources in Buenos Aires Arsenal want to bring him to The Emirates to reap the rewards of his precocious talents.
So what can we tell you about him?
1. Leandro Paredes was born in 1994 and only turned 18 in June this year.
2. Paredes is currently represented by the Communigoal Sports agency who count Lisandro Lopez among their headline clients. Not the striker who plays for Lyon, but a centre-back who is in his own right an Argentine international with three caps. Coincidentally he plays for Arsenal, Arsenal de Sarandi in Argentina’s Primera Liga.
3. Paredes has made an impact at international level, being capped at both under-15 and under-17 level.
4. He represented Argentina in the South American under-17 championships in Ecuador last year, where the Albiceleste finished in third place with Leandro bagging two goals in the competition, against Peru and Bolivia.
5. He was in the same squad as Lucas Ocampos who signed for Arsene Wenger’s former club Monaco this summer.
6. He first played football with Youth teams La Justina and South Bristas in his hometown of San Justo in the province of Buenos Aires.
7. At the age of eight Leandro signed on with Boca’s youth team hoping to follow in the footsteps of former players such as Ever Banega, Fernando Gago and Carlos Tevez in coming through the ranks at Azul y Oro.
8. He has made eight senior appearances for Boca’s first team since making his debut in 2011 against Argentinos Juniors, replacing Lucas Viatri in the 38th minute.
9. He came to prominence with a display against Union Santa Fe where he assisted the first goal and had a major part in the dismissal of an opponent and the winning goal.
10. He has been compared to Juan Roman Riquelme for his excellent range of passing and free-role propensity.
Here is his performance against Union Santa Fe …
What do you think? Could Arsenal snap up the ‘next Riquelme’?
image: © sdhansay