Manchester City appear to have become the frontrunner in the race to sign talented Dutch youngster Riechedly Bazoer from PSV Eindhoven. The centre back is one of The Netherlands top prospects and is expected to go far in the game.
Not much is known about the talent but we are going to tell you everything we could find out.
1. Bazoer was born on the 12th October 1996, meaning he only turned 16 a little over a fortnight ago.
2. Bazoer was a member of the Dutch under-17 squad that won the European Championships in Slovenia this summer. Despite being the youngest member of the squad he was handed the number three shirt.
3. His most recent fixture for Holland was in an under-17 qualifying match with Lithuania in which they drew 0-0..
4. Originally from Utrecht his previous club was USV Elinkwijk, famous for once being the club of Marco Van Basten, Ibrahim Afellay and Ismail Aisatti
5. He has been a regular fixture in PSV Eindhoven’s NextGen Squad this season where he has played against youngsters from Aston Villa and Celtic.
6. According to reports in Holland he has not yet signed a contract with PSV. His agency Forza Sports Group (FSG) confirmed this on the 18th October which has heightened interest in the powerful centre back.
7. FSG currently look after Chelsea youngsters Kenneth Omeruo and Nathan Ake which may give the London club an edge in any pursuit for Bazoer.
8. Manchester City are not alone in the Premier League chase for the highly rated teen as Arsenal and Newcastle United are also reportedly keen. Interest in the 16-year-old also comes from unnamed clubs in La Liga and Serie A.
9. He names his favourite player as Paris Saint-Germain centre-half Thiago Silva.
10. PSV sporting director Marcel Brands claims the protégé should remain in Eindhoven despite the lure of riches in England to have a better opportunity at first team football:
'It's difficult in England to reach the first team of the big clubs after joining out of the youth academy. A lot of young players from Holland went to England and have not yet played in the first team. Many of them ended up being loaned out to other clubs.’’
On his personal web-profile he notes that his best moment at PSV Eindhoven is ‘yet to come’ so big clubs may have to wait to purchase the precocious talent.
image: © FaceMePLS