Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly in competition for Genoa youngster Mario Sampirisi. The right back is considered among one of the hottest defensive prospects in Europe and the English sides are hoping to lure him away from Italy. So who is he?
1. Mario Sampirisi was born on Halloween in 1992…so for yesterday, Happy Birthday Mario.
3. With the Rossoneri he was a promising right-sided midfielder despite his current full-back position.
4. AC Milan used their long link with Genoa in order to secure a part-exchange deal which saw Portuguese youngster Pele come in the opposite direction.
5. The Italian made his debut for Genoa in a 5-3 defeat against Palermo at the turn of the year.
6. He has grown in height and build since being at Genoa which has seen him cope well with the physical demands of Italian football.
7. He is in demand if you believe his agent Giuseppe Riso who stated:
"Chelsea and Manchester United interested in him? Yeah, they sent their scouts to follow him live but I don't know if they'll try to take him in January, but also some Italian clubs are following him."
8. Liverpool have also reportedly expressed an interest in the youngster.
9. In terms of playing style he is not an overlapping full-back but rather relies on his astute passing ability to see him through.
10. He has represented Italy at youth level making four appearances for their under-19 side and three times for the Azzurri’s under-20 side.
His agent Riso has stated that Genoa are not interested in selling him but is in no doubt about his clients ability to perform in the Premier League:
‘’I am not surprised that the Premier League clubs have their eye on him. Mario has the typical physique that British teams like.’’
Which club will win the battle for one of Italy’s hottest defensive prospects?
image: © LaertesCTB