The Police have dropped their investigation into Mark Clattenburg due to lack of evidence, revealing that no victims went to them directly about the incident. The Society of Black Lawyers submitted the initial complaint to the police, but neither Mikel nor any Chelsea representative went to the police themselves.
The FA’s investigation will continue, and Clattenburg is again not on the referee’s roster this weekend, as those investigations continue into a third week. The outcome of the FA probe into the incident is currently expected on Friday.
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has said the club were not hypocritical in their lodging a complaint about Mark Clattenburg whilst supporting their captain John Terry. Buck went on to say that his club would have been “crucified” had they not followed up the allegations their players made about Clattenburg, and they have a “duty of care” towards John Terry.
Chelsea have reportedly taken a significant step towards signing Colombian striker Falcao in January by agreeing personal terms with the striker, according to a report. Chelsea are said to have told the striker they are prepared to meet his £48.1 million release clause and have settled terms on a contract that would make him one of the best paid players in the Premier League. However they will face a challenge from Manchester City for his signature, with a report this morning claiming the league champions are preparing to offload Mario Balotelli to accommodate him.
Reported target Marouane Fellaini has given the clearest indication yet he will look to leave Everton, perhaps as soon as the January transfer window, saying:
'I've seen everything with Everton and in January or at the end of the season, I will turn to a new club or a new league.'
Chelsea are said to be leading the chase for the Belgian, who is rated at around £30 million, though David Moyes has a history of getting the highest possible price for his players.
Chelsea will face competition from Inter Milan for another of their targets, Shakhtar playmaker Willian. The player, who has been impressive in the Champions League this season, indicated he would like to leave the Ukraine in the near future, with Tottenham Hotspur another club competing for his signature.
Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has said that he hopes exciting players like Mata, Hazard and Oscar can help restore the image of the club. Gourlay hopes Chelsea can move past off the pitch problems and the negative defensive image of the side taken from last year’s Champions League run.