Chelsea have finally announced the official unveiling of Brazilian defender Wallace. The 18-year-old right back was part of the Brazil under-17 team that won the South American Championship last year and has become a regular at Fluminense as they won the Brazilian league championship. It is believed he will return to Brazil on loan for the rest of the season but it may not be long before another young Brazilian is on his way.
Chelsea have been linked with the highly talented Atletico Mineiro playmaker Bernard in recent weeks. The 20-year-old has mentioned his belief that everybody would like to play for Chelsea but he was quick to reiterate that so far there have been no concrete offers for his services:
"We know there is speculation, the press has been talking a lot. But nothing concrete has come so far, Chelsea are a club with a lot of visibility, they are a club where every player would like to play."
So what can we tell you about him?
1. Bernard Anicio Caldeira Duarte was born in Belo Horizonte on the 8th September 1992.
2. At just 5ft 4inches if Chelsea were to sign the diminutive midfield man they would make him one of the shortest players in the Premier League.
3. His size was a significant issue for him growing up as he was released twice in his youth career due to concerns with his height.
4. After a successful loan spell at feeder club Democrata he made his debut for Atletico Mineiro against Uberaba SC in March 2011 and he made his Campeanato debut against Atletico Paranaense in May of the same year.
5. He was first called into the Brazilian senior squad in September this year and made his debut for Selecao in November against Argentina in the Superclasico de las Americas.
He is a highly talented individual and caught worldwide attention with an assist dubbed ‘the best in the world’. His wonderful footwork on the left wing created a chance for former Manchester City and Everton flop Jo to fire home the opening goal against Gremio.
Would you like to see Bernard join fellow Brazilians Oscar, David Luiz and Ramires at Stamford Bridge?
image: © jonnyr1