Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur are being linked with a move for highly rated Spanish midfielder Pedro Obiang. The 20-year-old is currently with Sampdoria in Italy and is also courting interest from his current home and his home country. So who is he and what can we tell you about him?
1. Pedro Mba Obiang Avomo, sometimes known simply as ‘Perico’, was born in Alcala de Henares, Spain on the 27th March 1992.
2. He started his career with local sides CD Avance and AD Naya before signing with Atletico Madrid despite reported interest from Valencia.
3. After one year at Atletico he decided to make the move to Italy with Sampdoria in 2008 aged just 16.
4. He made his debut for Sampdoria against Juventus in September 2010 signing a five-year-deal with the club shortly after the match.
5. He became a regular feature in the Genoa-based side in Serie B as they were promoted back to Serie A last season.
6. He has represented Spain at both under-17 and under-19 level.
7. He is of Equatoguinean lineage; despite once being called up to the Gabon national under-20 team. In fact he is related to Equatorial Guinea’s controversial former minister of sport Ruslan Obiang.
8. Tall, dynamic and technically gifted he has recently been likened to the likes of Yaya Toure and Patrick Vieira.
9. He has not yet scored a goal in a first class professional football match.
10. Despite reported interest from England as well as Italian clubs such as Napoli ‘Perico’ expressed a desire to one day return to Spain in 2011 stating that playing for Real Madrid in particular would be a dream as ‘It is the club I have been a fan [of] since I was small’
Do you like the sound of him?