Tottenham Hotspur boss Andre Villas Boas has already tried to raid his former club once during his tenure at White Hart Lane with an unsuccessful pursuit of Joao Moutinho. In November it looked as if they had failed to pry away another player from Porto in the form of Christian Atsu. The 20-year-old winger looked set to sign a new contract at the Portuguese outfit but this week reports emanating from Portugal indicate he has rejected the clubs offer of a new long-term contract.
So who is he and is he worth Tottenham’s interest?
4. He was also named the best player at the 2011 Blue Stars/FIFA Youth Cup; a youth competition ran in Switzerland since 1939. Porto won the competition.
5. He currently has 18 months left on his current Porto deal with a release clause in place of just £8 million.
6. He spent last season on loan at Rio Ave FC where he played 27 times and found the back of the net on five occasions.
7. He made his international debut for Ghana in June 2012 and has since gone on to earn five caps for The Black Stars. If Spurs were to pursue his signature in January he would likely be unavailable immediately as he is set to go to the African Nations Cup in South Africa.
8. He has scored two international goals; one on his debut against Lesotho and a second in September 2012 against Malawi.
9. Described by some in his homeland as the ‘Ghanaian Messi’ he is a pacy and tricky winger most comfortable on the left hand side.
10. Despite Tottenham’s strong interest there is also talk of Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, Lyon and Valencia looking into a potential deal.
Here he is in action…
image: © dioxido