Newcastle currently sit in 15th place in the Premier League, and a loss to QPR this weekend will be another real setback.
There is an underlying fear that the club could suddenly be dragged into a relegation scrap- They are just two points ahead of Wigan in 18th place - Even with the immense talent at their disposal.
It is a sudden change in perspective from the side which was battling for a Champions League place in the spring, and finish in fifth position; their highest finish in almost a decade.
The change in fortunes is stark, and so the club now need to hope their recent decline is just a temporary glitch.
Here are the high points and low points...
- Papiss Cisses' signing and superb impact, 13 goals in 15 games.
- Papiss Cisse's incredible goal against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
- Hatem Ben Arfa's wondergoals.
- Newcastle hang onto all of their star names, tying Krul and Coloccini down to new contracts.
- Champions League push- At one point it really did seem as though the Toon could do it.
- Qualifying for and playing in the Europa League, and progressing to the last 32.
- However bad it gets, Sunderland are worse.
- Long-term injuries suffered by Ryan Taylor and Yohan Cabaye.
- Demba Ba's lack of commitment to signing a new deal and flirtation with other clubs.
- Rumours over Andy Carroll returning to the club keep swirling.
- Low league position may leave club sweating over top stars in January.
- Cheik Tiote's constant injury niggles.
- Papiss Cisse's poor form this season looking like a shadow of the player the previous season.
Alan Pardew handed an eight-year deal - Is this a positive or negative?!
So has this year been a good one for Newcastle? We want you to tell us. What is your opinion of the team's fortunes in 2012?
image: © machernucha