The FA have charged Eden Hazard with violent conduct after they deemed the three match ban the Belgian was given for his actions during Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup match to be “clearly insufficient.” The player has until 16:00 on Tuesday to respond to the charge.
Earlier in the day both Rafa Benitez and Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins have said they would like to move on from the incident, whilst Harry Redknapp defended Hazard’s actions and criticised the ball boy for time-wasting.
Ahead of Chelsea match at Brentford in the FA Cup on Sunday, the Bees manager Uwe Rosler has said his side’s task has been made harder by Chelsea’s failure in other competitions this season. The Blues crashed of the League Cup on Wednesday, and Rosler says they will now be even more focussed on the FA Cup:
“The FA Cup is realistically the one big trophy they can win this season.
“It would have been better for us if they were heavily involved in the Champions League and it would have been also good if they had a realistic chance in the title race.”
However Bees striker Craig Donaldson, who has scored 19 times already this season, has been inspired by the example set by Bradford this season, and believes his team can cause an upset against Chelsea:
“You see Bradford and start to think ‘what if?’ Chelsea will have seen it, too, and they’ll be looking at this tie and thinking they have to be on their game.”
Chelsea will be without David Luiz, who might be sidelined for several weeks with a calf muscle injury. John Terry, who recently returned from his own injury layoff, could be in line to start the match. Other absentees include Hazard, who serves the first match of his ban.
Rafa Benitez has blamed a lack of depth in the squad for Chelsea’s failures this season. Chelsea have already missed the chance to win four trophies, and look unlikely to feature in the Premier League title race, leaving only the FA cup and the Europa League to play for.
Former Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has spoken about his future today, saying he isn’t sure when he will return to management, but that his next job will be crucial to his career.
Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas has ruled out leaving the club during the transfer window. Aspas was reportedly a target for Chelsea, but says he is focussed on the rest of the season with Celta.
Another target Chelsea might miss out on is Malaga midfielder Isco, with the Spanish club’s director, Mario Husillos, suggesting that he expects the 20 year old to sign a new deal.
“Isco's contract renewal is in its advanced stages and should be signed shortly.
"We will be here presenting Isco very soon. We will be here shortly to announce the renewal of his contract.”