Newcastle United have a solid recent history of signing players from Ligue 1 for next to nothing and increasing their value over night.
Several sources are reporting that they have their eyes on Mamadou Sakho from Paris Saint-Germain as a replacement for Fabricio Coloccini who has said he wants to return to his beloved Argentina.
1) Sakho has played for France at six different levels which makes him an extremely experienced international centre back. These sides are the Under-16, Under-17, Under-18, Under-19, Under-21 and senior teams.
2) His primary position is as a left sided centre back but he has been used at left back by France and PSG.
3) He joined PSG as a 12-year-old in 2002 spending five years in the youth teams before moving into the senior side in 2007. He has only ever played for PSG producing five goals in 139 appearances.
4) Sakho joined PSG as a striker but was told to change positions by the club’s youth coaches as the club had too many forwards.
5) He’s won four honours during his career; the French Cup and League Cup team titles and young player of the year for Ligue 1 and team of the year for Ligue 1 in 2010/2011.
image: © strange lands travel blog