1. 270 - St. Valentine is beheaded
2. 1895 - Oscar Wilde's final play, The Importance of Being Earnest, opens at the St. James' Theatre in London
3. 1912 - Arizona becomes the 48th state of America
4. 1929 - The St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurs - gunmen in the suspected employment of organised-crime boss Al Capone murder seven members of the George 'Bugs' Moran North Siders gang in a garage in Chicago
5. 1929 - Sir Alexander Fleming discovers Penicillin. After leaving a plate of staphylococcus bacteria uncovered, he noticed that a mold that had fallen on the culture had killed many of the bacteria.
6. 1945 - Thousands of bombs destroy Dresden
7. 1951 - Kevin Keegan is born
8. 1984 - British figure skating couple Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean skate off with a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo after dancing to Ravel's Bolero
9. 1993 - Police confirm a body found on a railway embankment in Merseyside is that of missing toddler James Bulger
10. 1997 - Jurors at the inquest into the death of Stephen Lawrence decide the black teenager was unlawfully killed 'in a completely unprovoked racist attack by five white youths'
11. 2003 - Dolly the sheep, the first cloned mammal, is euthanized because of incurable lung cancer
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com
image: © lonelypluto911