Here is a note of 11 things that happened on this day in history
1. 1895 - Physicist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen (1845-1923) discovers the X-ray
2. 1917 - Lenin makes his first appearance before the Congress of Soviets, in which the Bolsheviks hold a 60% majority.
3. 1939 - Johann Georg Elser plants a bomb at the Burgerbrau Beer Cellar in Munich, where Hitler is due to give a speech. Hitler leaves 8 minutes before the bomb detonates
4. 1960 - Senator John F. Kennedy is elected the 35th President of the United States, at 43 years of age the 2nd youngest ever-President
5. 1965 - The Murder (Abolition of the Death Penalty) Act 1965 is given Royal Assent, formally abolishing the death penalty for murder in the United Kingdom.
6. 1966 - Gordon Ramsey is born
7. 1974 - Detectives search for British aristocrat Lord Lucan following the death of his children's nanny the evening before
8. 1975 - David Bowie reached No.1 in the UK charts with Space Oddity
9. 1987 - Eleven people are killed after a bomb explodes during a Remembrance Day service at Enniskillen in County Fermanagh
10. 1990 - Ireland elects Mary Robinson as first woman president of the country
11. 1996 - Football hardman Vinnie Jones vows that if he got sent off again, he would retire from football. He had by then been sent off 12 times in his pro career
Sources: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk,brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com, thepeoplehistory, onthisdayinhistory.com