According to Jamie Redknapp, Ibrahimovic announced himself to the world last night with his display against England. Aside from all the titles, incredible performances and goals in his playing career, what are the top ten "most Zlatan" moments that Redknapp should take note of?
1. Zlatan doesn't do auditions. As a younger man, Ibrahimovic was invited to a trial at Arsenal. Whilst many players would have considered this the opportunity of lifetime, Zlatan took offence at the idea that Wenger would like him to undertake a trial with the club before joining. The Swede naturally declined:
“I couldn’t believe it. I was like ‘No way, Zlatan doesn’t do auditions’."
2. When asked what he bought his partner for her birthday:
"Nothing, she already has the Zlatan."
3. His partner can count herself lucky, when Zlatan was asked who he thought was th best looking woman in the world he responded with:
“I don’t know, but when I find her I will date her.”
4. Hot Dog. When Zlatan was being marked by Stephane Henchoz he described how he beat the Liverpool man:
“First I went left, he did too. Then I went right, and he did too. Then I went left again, and he went to buy a hot dog.”
5. Zlatan’s run-ins with Guardiola. The Swede was not always content at Barcelona, summed up best by this quote from his autobiography:
“Then Guardiola started his philosopher thing. I was barely listening. Why would I? It was advanced bullshit about blood, sweat and tears, that kind of stuff.”
6. Guardiola part 2. Zlatan gave the manager a simple summary of how he believed he was being mis-used in his system:
"You bought a Ferrari but you drive it like a Fiat"
7. When he moved to Paris Zlatan gave reporters an insight into his attempts to find accommodation:
“We are looking for an apartment (in Paris). If we don't find anything, then I'll probably just buy the hotel."
8. On those rare occasions Zlatan is felled by injury, how can teams cope without him? As he says:
“An injured Zlatan is a pretty serious thing for any team.”
9. Guardiola part 3:
“(Guardiola) was staring at me and I lost it. I thought ‘there is my enemy, scratching his bald head!’. I yelled to him: ‘You have no balls!’ and probably worse things than that.”
10. The best summary of the great man inevitably comes from Zlatan himself, how does he play football?
image: © prettyfriendship