While many people will tell you that Radamel Falcao is the most wanted player in Europe there are many players who certainly have a better claim to that mantle. No not Klaas Jan Huntelaar and not Fernando Llorente either but Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij.
The 20-year-old Dutch international is reported to be a transfer target for many of Europe’s top clubs and many of the teams looking at him are from the Premier League.
In fact Sky Sports understands that Liverpool are the front-runners for the centre-back’s signature and Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Newcastle United may also be ready to compete for his signature.
So what can we tell you about the talented 20-year-old who reportedly has the Premier League scrambling for his signature?
1. Although now playing primarily as a centre back he started his career with the first-team as a right-back.
2. Before arriving at Feyenoord as a ten-year-old he was a midfield talent at local side vv Spirit for five years.
3. He made his debut for the Feyenoord first team in September 2009 in a cup match with Harkemase Boys and has since gone on to establish himself as a regular member of a young Rotterdam side featuring over 30 times in each of the last two seasons.
4. He represented the Dutch national team at under-17 level on 20 occasions but never featured for any other age groups before making his senior debut against Belgium in August. He has made one more cap for Oranje.
5. After Ron Vlaar transferred to Aston Villa this summer Feyenoord manager Ronald Koeman named the young centre-back as his replacement skipper for the upcoming season.
It is believed that the Dutch club are looking for a fee in the region of £8 million for the player whose contract runs out in 18 months. Considering his age and rapid acceleration into the Dutch national team over the past 12 months it would appear a brilliant deal on paper.
With his functionality across the back an added incentive for his purchase the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle United, Chelsea and Manchester United will surely not be alone in trying to persuade Feyenoord to part with their prized possession this winter.
Would you want your side to bring in De Vrij?
image: © stefanoost