Arsenal latest: Including Wenger outburst and £70 million budget

Arsene Wenger Looks On

News and gossip from The Emirates.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hit out at journalists during a press conference ahead of the Bayern Munich tie in the Champions League. The Frenchman was angered first when asked about reports suggesting he had agreed a new deal at The Emirates. He spoke of how he felt he deserved ‘more respect’ considering the time he had spent in the country. He was then angered about questions about the game with Blackburn Rovers on Saturday and he told reporters he would only answer questions surrounding the game with Bayern on Tuesday. He then went on to say he did not want to speak about Bayern Munich during an awkward press conference.

The FA Cup defeat against Blackburn has reportedly sparked the Arsenal board into preparing a £70 million budget for the summer to overhaul his squad. The amount is apparently regardless of where the team finish this season as they try desperately to cool fan anger after the defeat on Saturday.

Jack Wilshere has been calling on the team to use Chelsea’s Champions League triumph from last season as their inspiration for the rest of the season. Chelsea were not considered serious contenders for European glory but went on to win the competition against Arsenal’s next opponents Bayern Munich in their own backyard in May last year. Now Wilshere says they should look at that example to motivate them ahead of the tie with Bayern this week.

Arsenal fans have not been impressed by something posted on Twitter by a former player. Mikael Silvestre posted an SOS Tweet aimed at former France team-mate and fellow former Gunner Patrick Vieira to come back and help the club in their hour of need. However the accompanying picture of an empty trophy cabinet signifying the lack of silverware during the tenancy at The Emirates. However the defender, who will be playing in the MLS next season, is more affiliated with rivals Manchester United and his Tweet was not taken in the lightest spirits by Arsenal fans.

The Mirror believe that Arsenal are beginning to draw up a list of goalkeepers to replace Wojciech Szczesny as the clubs number one. Collating stories from around the country it is believed that Wenger is not happy with the form of the Pole this season and the likes of Victor Valdes, Pepe Reina, Simon Mignolet, Asmir Begovic and Michel Vorm are also being considered.

Arsenal will reportedly pursue the signature of Barcelona full-back Dani Alves this summer. The Brazilian international has fell down the pecking order under Tito Villanova and is now deemed surplus to requirements in the summer with AC Milan and Anzhi Makhachkala also interested.

What do you make of everything Arsenal on the 18th February 2013?

image: © Ronnie Macdonald

Register for ARSENAL FC team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch