Here's a note of 7 things a back office employee needs to be a success.
1. The wisdom to accept that you are unlikely to ever work in middle / front office.
2. A tough rear-end - you are going to be shouted at, blamed and verbally abused every time something goes wrong - even if it's not your fault.
3. Resilience - you will be able to deal with high work volumes and often have to work under pressure, and to strict deadlines.
4. A realistic and accepting nature - you will rarely be complimented for a job well-done, and you will certainly not be the one earning the big bucks at year-end.
5. The right attitude - you won't get very far telling your boss what you think of him / her (even though you know you are right).
6. The ability to prioritize conflicting priorities - especially if you work for more than once boss (or one boss who keeps changing his / her mind about what's urgent).
7. Strong 'political' skills - you will need to be able to effectively manage upwards. This will usually mean allowing your boss to take credit for all your good ideas.
image: © Reinis Traidas