No player was under the spotlight more at Old Trafford than Wayne Rooney, and the United player certainly put on a show.
Rooney had been scrutinised all summer long ever since Sir Alex Ferguson said he had asked to leave the club before he announced his retirement.
New manager David Moyes has refused to sell him, despite the efforts of Jose Mourinho to bring him to Chelsea, who have seen two bids rejected for the striker.
After injuries delayed his pre-season, the game was Rooney's first start of the campaign.
We have taken a look at it from a statistical perspective, as well as what fans had to say on Twitter about his display...
- Manchester United had three shots on target; and all three came via Wayne Rooney.
- Rooney had four efforts in total, one from inside the penalty area which was off target, with the three on target all from outside the box.
- He touched the ball 70 times, almost twice as many times as Van Persie (37).
- Rooney's pass completion rate of 75 per cent was the second lowest in the United line-up, with Van Persie's 72 per cent.
- The player Rooney passed to more than any other player was Tom Cleverley, eight times.
- He was more wasteful in the final third, misplacing nine passes from 25 attempts, compared to four misplaced passes in the centre of the pitch from 28 attempts.
And what did fans make of his industrious display? Here's a selection of comments...
Whatever you do Moyes keep Rooney #MUFC— Nathan Jones (@Jones7knot) August 26, 2013
Only my opinion but as well as Rooney played tonight still don't feel Rooney and RVP together works for the good of the team #mufc— Mickey Hainsworth (@MickeyH7) August 26, 2013
Rooney was class tonight. Think we should have got a result though #MUFC— Alex Rowland (@AlexRolo) August 26, 2013
Fantastic performance from Rooney tonight, and the United fans did themselves proud by supporting him. Still a United player. #mufc— Busby's Boys (@BusbysBoys) August 26, 2013
Man utd shouldn't be selling rooney after that performance!! #MUFC— allrounder 92 (@allrounder_92) August 26, 2013
It was a great game but the result is deceiving! We should have got a win out of it! Rooney was just outstanding! What a player! #MUFC— Man United #1 Fan (@manunited2014) August 26, 2013
What did you think of Rooney? Will he stay?
image: © nasmac