Jose Mourinho made a surprise selection up front as Chelsea visited Old Trafford.
Jose Mourinho confounded all the pre-match pundits by deciding not to name any of his three strikers in his starting line-up; and picking Andre Schurrle to play up front instead.
While Romelu Lukaku and Fernando Torres found places on the bench, Demba Ba was left out of the squad altogether.
It was Schurrle's first start in the Premier League, having made two appearances off the bench in Chelsea's first two games.
So how did he get on? We decided to take a look from a statistical standpoint, along with reactions from fans.
- Schurrle played 83 minutes, touching the ball 43 times, the lowest of any Chelsea player who started with the exception of Kevin de Bruyne (39).
- He completed 83 per cent of his passes, 24 out of 29 in total, passing to Eden Hazard more times than any other player (six times).
- He made more passes in the central third of the pitch (15) than he did in the final third (9).
- Schurrle made two successful tackles, one in his own half, making two interceptions - both in his own half.
- He won just one out of five aerial duels he contested for.
- Schurrle had one shot, with his right-foot from outside the box, which was blocked and so did not test David de Gea.
We also took a look at Twitter, to see what fans made of his display...
Very impressed with Schurrle tonight! Once be settles he'll be a wicked player for us this season! #CFC— Josh Covill (@JoshCovill) August 26, 2013
I thought Schurrle had a fantastic game! #CFC— Alex Greenleaf (@AlexGreenleaf) August 26, 2013
I love the over-reactions to Schurrle being played up front tonight, as if Mourinho had put Hilario on the wing. Schurrle's a forward. #cfc— Kevin Hatchard (@kevinhatchard) August 26, 2013
Schurrle was in good form today..Amazing workrate #CFC— Tola Fola Olowolafe (@TolaFola) August 26, 2013
Good defensive performance but Schurrle was making great runs and No-one was picking him out. Overall it was a pretty good performance #CFC— Sam Barry (@sam1barry) August 26, 2013
Schurrle much better out wide. Lets leave him out there from now on. #cfc— George Jones (@georgejjones) August 26, 2013
Would you like to see Schurrle given another opportunity up front?
image: © tjuel