Four games into the new season, statistics show Newcastle United are heading in the right direction
However, amid all the doom and gloom, which increased after a poor summer transfer window, the start to this season has been a promising one.
The Magpies have picked up seven points from the first four games of the new season - but that's not the only statistic Toon fans can be proud of.
Alan Pardew has commented several times on the importance of developing an identity, a style of play which would entertain fans and followers. After the 2-1 away win at Aston Villa, he highlighted the "offensive threat" posed by the three-pronged attack of Hatem Ben Arfa, Loic Remy and Papiss Cisse.
Here are ten statistics which show how Pardew is slowly getting through with his attacking football message:
1) Newcastle are ranked 4th in terms of shots attempted per game. Only Tottenham, Chelsea, and Everton have attempted more shots this season. They are also 4th on the list of most shots attempted from inside the six-yard box.
2) The Magpies have an impressive 81% pass completion rate after four games.
3) On average, Newcastle have kept 48% of possession in the four games they have played this season.
4) The Magpies have attempted the least amount of long balls in the Premier League this season (48). Southampton lead the long ball charts with 74.
5) Newcastle are ranked 6th in terms of interceptions per game.
6) In terms of dribbling, Newcastle have the 3rd highest successful dribbles in the league, behind only Tottenham and Everton.
7) The Magpies are ranked 4th on the offside table, with only six offside decisions going against Toon players in four matches.
8) Newcastle are 6th best in the league in terms of goals from open play (3 goals).
9) The Toon are 7th in terms of crosses attempted per game
10) Finally, the Magpies are 4th highest on the list of teams which have played the most through-balls this season.
Encouraging figures for Newcastle fans. Crisis? what crisis?
Let us know your thoughts.
image: © mickyb59