We take a look at some of the most amazing occurrences since Arsenal last won a trophy.
It has been a long time since Arsenal last tasted silverware – almost nine years in fact.
May 2005 was the last time Arsenal celebrated winning a trophy, a FA Cup triumph over then title-rivals Manchester United after a dour 0-0 draw at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff.
The Gunners have come close since, reaching the final of the Champions League in 2006 only to lose to Barcelona 2-1 as well as a bitterly disappointing 2-1 League Cup final defeat to Birmingham City.
This season still holds promise for the Gunners to break their wretched run, as only one point separates them from top spot in the Premier League and the FA Cup and Champions League trophies are still a possibility – although the latter maybe seen as rather hopeful.
Many players have come in and departed the Emirates since 2005, and statues have been built of former greats – but here we take a look at the most astonishing occurrences since the last Gunners triumph. According to Uber Football Facts:
- Arsenal have spent an incredible £227,500,000 on new players.
- 52 of the 92 football league clubs have won a trophy.
- Arsene Wenger has earned approximately £63.5m in wages.
- The planet Mercury has orbited the Sun 32 times.
- London won the rights to host the Olympic Games, rebuilt Stratford and then hosted the event.
- Twitter has been created and gained 500 million users.
- Over 1,000,000,000 people have been born.
- Juventus have been relegated, promoted and won back to back league titles.
- Ex-Arsenal players have won 44 medals.
- Pep Guardiola retired as a player, became manager, won 16 trophies with Barcelona, took a year break, returned as manager and won two trophies with Bayern Munich.
Will Arsenal finally break their trophy drought this season?
image: © wonker