Liverpool are enjoying an outstanding season and possess a number of young players with the talent to suggest this is just the beginning of a hugely successful period for Brendan Rodgers’ side.
So who exactly is he? Below are five facts to help you get to know him a little better:
1) Kongolo is a 16-year-old midfielder who has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League for some time. Chelsea were linked with the player a year ago, with Arsenal and Manchester City also said to be keeping tabs on him.
2) It was City who appeared to have won the race for his signature when the People reported back in October that a compensation package with Feyenoord was set to be agreed. The player was said to be arriving at the Etihad Stadium “shortly”, but five months later, and Liverpool have now joined the race for which the finish-line appears to still be some way off.
3) Kongolo has an older brother, Terence, who also plays for Feyenoord as a central defender. The 20-year-old is currently a first-team regular, having recently broken into the first-team and played the last five Eredivisie matches.
4) Kongolo’s playing style has previously been compared to that of Patrick Vieira, and the presence of the French legend at City was previously believed to be a potential selling point to bring him to the Blues as he would have been working closely with him in the youth set-up.
5) Feyenoord are reportedly desperate to hold on to the starlet, and the advancement of his older brother in the first-team shows the Dutch club are willing to give young players the opportunities to shine. But it is believed Kongolo has rejected the possibility of a deal at his current side and will decide between City and Liverpool at the end of the current campaign.
Should Liverpool move for Kongolo or do they have enough young players coming through in that position?
image: © stefanoost