Tottenham Hotspur manager Tim Sherwood has already shown he is not averse to giving youth a chance. And another young Spurs player was given a place in the match-day squad against Liverpool – this time in the form of Harry Winks.
So for those who are keen to find out more about him, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Winks is a central midfielder who is enjoying a swift trajectory under Sherwood. The 18-year-old is currently a second-year in Spurs’ academy, featuring predominantly for the under-18s.
2) The teenager has made four appearances for the under-21s, the last of which was in a 2-0 victory over their Arsenal counterparts. Winks scored the vital second with a fine finish into the roof of the net.
3) The player had previously featured against Middlesbrough, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion at under-21 level this season, building on his appearances in the FA Youth Cup and NextGen Series last year.
4) Winks has previously made the bench for Tottenham’s first-team, for the Europa League quarter-final second-leg against Benfica. However, he did not get on the pitch on that occasion.
5) The midfielder has six caps for England under-17s, the last of which came against Holland in February. Along with Shaq Coulthirst, Winks has been given plenty of opportunities to train with the Tottenham first-team this season. And it appears he will be given more chances in the future, provided Sherwood remains in charge.
Have you seen Winks in action before? How impressed were you and how far do you think he can go in the game?