According to reports in Spain, Liverpool are closing in on a loan move for Atletico Madrid right-back Javier Manquillo.
Given that Brendan Rodgers already has Jon Flanagan and Glen Johnson at his disposal, the move would raise a few eyebrows. But with doubts over the latter’s future, Manquillo’s arrival could allow Johnson to move on this summer.
For Liverpool fans wanting to know a little more about the young full-back, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Javier Manquillo Gaitan was born in Madrid in 1994. He started his youth career at Real Madrid but later moved to Atletico along with his twin brother Victor.
2) After five years in Atletico’s youth set-up, Manquillo made his senior debut in 2012, in a Copa del Rey match against Albacete.
3) The following season was something of a breakthrough for the right-back, who featured nine times for Atletico in all competitions. He also made 14 appearances for the club’s B team in that campaign.
4) Manquillo has represented Spain at every level from under-17 to under-20, racking up 17 appearances to date.
5) Having featured another seven times for Diego Simeone’s side last season, it is hoped a loan spell will see him get more minutes prior to returning to Spain, where he has a contract until the summer of 2018.
Do you think Liverpool need Manquillo next season?