Louis van Gaal's first competitive game as Manchester United manager ended in a home defeat at the hands of Swansea City.
Gylfi Sigurdsson scored the winner as Louis van Gaal's reign as Manchester United manager began with a shock defeat by Swansea.
Ki Sung-yeung gave the visitors the lead when he slotted home from the edge of the area, before new club captain, Wayne Rooney, equalised with an acrobatic effort from two yards.
However, a home win was not to be, as Icelandic international Sigurdsson stepped-up to score a 72nd-minute winner in his first competitive fixture since rejoining the Swans.
Here are the top five statistics from this encounter:
1) On his Premier League debut for the Red Devils, Tyler Blackett made a positive impression. The 20-year-old recorded 97 touches of the ball, while completing 84 of his 90 attempted passes (93%). He showed his ability to read the game as he made two interceptions and three clearances. He also proved a dominant force in the air, winning all three of his contested aerial duels
2) Chris Smalling proved a defensive force, despite the advances of the formidable Wilfried Bony. He won an impressive 92% of his contested duels, emerging successful from two (of two tackles) and seven (of seven) aerial duels. The English centre-back also proved his composure in possession, completing 89% of his passes and 100% of his attempted take-ons.
3) Ashley Young proved a creative force for the Red Devils in his new wing-back role. He fashioned two chances for his team-mates and managed one attempt on goal. Juan Mata was the only player to fashion a greater number of goal scoring opportunities (3), he played more key passes than any player from either team.
4) Swans captain Ashley Williams weighed in with an incredible 17 defensive actions in his club's surprise victory. The Welshman made two interceptions and 15 clearances, whilst he also won three (of five) attempted tackles and five (of eight) aerial duels.
5) An incredible 47% of Manchester United's attacks came down the right-flank. Debutant Jesse Lingard attempted three crosses before being forced off with an injury, while his replacement, Adnan Januzaj, completed four (of eight) attempted take ons down the same wing. The young Belgian also managed four strikes at goal, three of which were off target.
What did you think of United's opening game of the season?